For this loops project, I really wanted to make it a song in the background of the speech that sounded good on its own, and in the background of the speech. I decided to make the song before getting the speech, and find a speech that worked well with whatever song I made. I went through all of the notes and decided on D, so the entire song is in note D. I thought it would be interesting to start the song with a loop and pan it right and left so it felt like it was circling you, but I ended up finding a loop that already did this. I learned a lot from this project, for example, I did not know that it was acceptable to mix major and minor keys. Additionally, I did not know about the transpose feature which allows me to change any beat to different notes, which is very helpful.
Chariots Of Fire Remix
For my Chariots of Fire remix, my goal was to make a remix that was not too far off of the Chariots of Fire song, but I also wanted a slightly faster song. I started by listening to the Chariots of Fire song, and putting many drum samples on in the background to see which best matched up with the song. Whichever drum samples I liked best I used in my remix. After that, I tried many different piano types for the synth and the melody to see which sounded best with the drum beats I had selected. After finding those, I went back and decided which note sounded best for the song, and started practicing to play it, specifically for the melody which took significantly longer than the synth. Eventually, I became consistent enough to play the melody, which I feel turned out good. I learned a lot from this project, such as how to make a remix of a song, and how to use the ableton push like a piano, and play different notes. Additionally, I learned how to use beat repeat in this project which was very fun to use.
For my Halloween video, I started by getting a group of videos and images together in wevideo. I wanted the images to have some kind of story or progression, so each clip somewhat builds off of the last one. Then, I made music for the background in ableton live, I used energy to make the video more uneasy and spooky as the story progresses in the video. For example, I used a lot of the same beat, but changed the instrument each time to something slightly spookier, expressing how the story was advancing. Additionally, I added these on top of the others to not only show progression, but that the situation was getting worse than previously. My hope was that this would make it more ominous. I enjoyed the combination of ableton and wevideo, thinking about when and where to put certain clips of music to have the best effect on the video was fun. I also really enjoyed using alchemy, it was simple, but excellent for creating clips of music. The most challenging part about this project was using the few clips provided by wevideo to create some kind of plot development and also in a way that some kind of music actually made sense worked for the clip. Learning how to time different pieces of music to match up with the video and still have the music flow properly was very interesting.